13 Jul Learn the Warning Signs of Cavities
There’s one thing you never want to have when going to the dentist: cavities. Unfortunately, cavities and tooth decay are common. According to the American Dental Association, nearly 91% of adults over the age of 20 have suffered from cavities at some point in their lives. Additionally, many have gone untreated because the individual was unaware of the cavity warning signs and the issue wasn’t addressed until it became too late. To avoid future tooth extractions or root canals, it is important to know the most common warning signs of a cavity.
Warning signs of a cavity or cavities include:
- Toothaches – Commonly found in the later stages of a cavity’s development, toothaches are a red flag. This occurs when the cavity becomes so large that it advances into the nerve of the tooth, causing an abscess.
- Tooth sensitivity – Although it is not as common as toothaches, prolonged tooth sensitivity is typically a sign of a larger problem, meaning a cavity or another underlying issue is present.
- Holes – Holes form after white spots. These developments can be visible in a mirror or felt with your tongue.
- Discoloration – Discoloration often leads to cavity formation. These spots can be gray, black or brown in color and are a sign of bacteria destroying the enamel.
- Pain when eating or biting – Pain when biting, chewing or eating is a sign of advanced tooth decay. The longer the pain lingers after biting, the more serious the tooth decay is likely to be.
- Inconsistent dental hygiene habits – Not brushing your teeth regularly allows plaque to form and attack tooth enamel. When not removed regularly, plaque builds up on your teeth over time. If neglected, this can cause cavities.
If you have experienced any of the symptoms above, it is important to make a dental appointment immediately. I am here to help you attack the issue before it worsens and provide you with the tools you need to maintain peak dental hygiene. Click here to schedule an appointment with me or call 251-344-4571.